Tempting Tempura Prawns
Our spin on a Japanese hit will have you craving more. Tempura prawns are quick, easy and a delicious healthy snack. Why not try some for yourself?
- 200g of our Raw Peeled prawns
- Vegetable oil (frying)
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted and divided
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sweet rice wine
- 1 tablespoon seafood stock
- 1 egg
1. Using a deep fryer/deep pan, pour in a suitable amount of oil.
2. In a medium bowl, combine: 2 cups of flour, the water, and the egg. Whisk lightly until ingredients are combined (note: expect batter to be slightly lumpy)
3. In a shallow dish, pour remaining flour.
4. Piece by piece, dredge the raw peeled prawns in flour and then dip into the batter.
5. Fry in batches for 2 to 3 minutes per batch. The battered prawn will turn a crispy gold on all sides when it is cooked throughly.
For the sauce
1. Combine the water, soy sauce, sweet rice wine, and seafood stock in a saucepan,
2. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Pour in a dipping bowl and leave to cool.
Assembling & Plating
1. Place the prawns in a small serving bowl
2. Pour some of the tempura sauce into a dipping bowl
3. Serve alongside wedged lemon/lime
4. Drizzle the lemon/lime and enjoy your tempura prawns!
About The Happy Prawn Co.
The Happy Prawn Co. is an independent, ethical brand producing 100% natural, 100% traceable Black Tiger prawns from Indonesia. Aimed at seafood lovers and foodies alike, the brand officially launched in 2018, but it’s the result of more than a decade’s dedication.
Check out this short video about our story here: