Salt ‘n’ Pepper Prawns
Spice up your life with these salt ‘n’ pepper prawns! These make a wonderful quick eat and are packed with so much flavour.
- 200g of our Raw Peeled prawns
- Salad leaves
- Vegetable oil (deep frying)
- 1tbsp of sea salt
- 2 tbsp of black pepper corns
- 1 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves
- 1 clove of garlic
- Chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp of cornflower
- 1 small red chilli
- 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp of honey
1. Using a pestle and mortar, crush garlic cloves, chilli and coriander leaves.
2. Place the mixture into a dipping bowl and add in the honey and squeeze the juice out of the lemon.
3. Mix well and leave to the side.
Coating for the prawns:
1. Toast the black pepper corns until fragrant in a saucepan.
2. Remove peppercorns from the saucepan and grind using either a spice mill or pestle and mortar.
3. Add the salt and a pinch of the chilli flakes to either the spice mill or pestle and mortar and mix well.
4. Place the mixture in a bowl with the cornflour and mix well again.
5. Using wither a deep fryer or a deep pan, place the oil in and wait until it is ready to fry. To test, use a piece of bread to ensure it is golden.
6. Once the oil is heated, grab your pack of raw peeled and ensure each prawn is well coated with the spice mix.
7. Place each prawn carefully into the deep fryer/deep pan for 1-2 minutes until the ends are crisp and the colour has changes from grey to red.
8. Remove with a slotted spoon and leave to rest on kitchen paper. Repeat until each prawn has been cooked.
Assembling & Plating
1. Place the prawns in a small dish once slightly cooled.
2. Serve alongside the dipping sauce.
3. Sit back and enjoy each burst of flavour.
About The Happy Prawn Co.
The Happy Prawn Co. is an independent, ethical brand producing 100% natural, 100% traceable Black Tiger prawns from Indonesia. Aimed at seafood lovers and foodies alike, the brand officially launched in 2018, but it’s the result of more than a decade’s dedication.
Check out this short video about our story here: